Jakartass is nominally a warden for the British expatriate community in my district. I say nominally because the duties have been minimal to match the information flow from the Consulate. If someone takes the job advertised below, which came by email today, then perhaps there will something for me to do.
Perhaps too, s/he could take down the travel advisory
offered by the Jakarta embassy three years ago. I've already told you
and H.M. No.2 about it, although he denied its existence.
Amidst the occasional travel advisories
we Brits keep a stiff upper lip, submit to the varying degrees of security searches and get on with our lives. Still, it would be nice to have more than the occasional invitations to Queen Bess' Birthday Bash and the annual Xmas Carol sing-a-long at the Ambassador's pied á terre
.Wardens Co-ordinator (Part-time LE)A vacancy has arisen for a Part-time (hours are flexible) LEIII Wardens Co-ordinator within the busy consular section of the British Consulate General. The primary aspect will be acting as the registrar of emergency contact details for British nationals resident in Indonesia; and contact point for British "wardens" to ensure our register is up-to-date and accurate in the event of an emergency.
The job is for six months in the first instance until we can put a case to Consulate Directorate to make the position permanent but still on a part time basis.
You will be expected to be familiar with IT, in particular Microsoft-based databases.
It is essential that the successful applicant speaks and writes English to the highest standard.
You must be a self-starter who is able to work under pressure, whilst remaining courteous and calm. Whilst the workload can at times be demanding, the liaison aspects of the job can be rewarding and you will be part of a close-knit and
Basic Job Description
If you wish to know more about the job, please contact Jim Liddell (mobile 0811961056) or Daryl Crooks (mobile 081119898752) or office (021) 31901314.
- Maintain regular contact with each warden.
- Forwarding substantive travel advice updates to Wardens.
- Drafting e-mails to wardens - administration / information / updates.
- Arranging meetings.
- Arrange briefs by VC/HMCG for new wardens. Maintain briefing pack for new wardens, as supervised by HMCG/VC.
- Compile and despatch current ward lists to wardens every month.
- Enter new registration details on Firecrest registration database. Quality check data input. Stock reply acknowledging applicant is registered. Advise them of their warden & how to subscribe to travel updates. Cc details to relevant warden.
- Oversee deletions of people leaving from register & advise wardens / vice versa remind wardens to inform us of changes/departures.
- Regular CD-Rom backup of community database and update consular laptops.
If you want details on pay and conditions of service please contact Nicola James in the Management Section of the Embassy. All applications should be sent to Nicola.
British Consulate General
Jakarta. 13 June 2005