<$BlogRSDURL$>
Thursday, August 06, 2009
  … la même chose.

Dear Jakartass

M. here, I thought I'd lay out my thoughts in response to your questions for your upcoming book (pub. October 2007). I hope you receive this as the appalling state of the internet here means I'm not at all certain anything will get through.

Anyway here goes, first of all the first "what the..?" moment. That's easy; it occurred within three hours of me arriving in Jakarta. It was Saturday March 29 2003. The night before I had been in Bali and the young lady who was with me expressed horror at the thought that I was going to Jakarta; she was convinced I'd be killed the moment I got there, it being such a dangerous town. I dismissed her fears but the next morning while waiting for my flight in Denpassar airport it was reported that a bomb had just gone off at Sukarno-Hatta airport - it was the GAM, they blew up MacDonalds - and my trepidation mounted. I arrived in a rainy Jakarta safely enough but was hardly cheered by the grimy streets around my hotel in Blok M, with the teeming crowds, as well as the dirt and pollution from countless noisy bikes and buses. All in all I rapidly came to the conclusion that this was one city to get out of as soon as possible.

On top of all that there was a massive demo in town that day, reports say over 100,000 people marched in opposition to the Iraq war which had started the previous week. I grew up in Northern Ireland so I knew the drill when confronted with large political rallies that can turn nasty at any moment; maintain a calm composure, observe the proceedings with an utterly dispassionate, neutral expression and slowly but steadily make your way home.

So it was that I found myself standing at the traffic island in front of the Ambhara Hotel when speeding down the street came a large open backed truck on the way to the demo. In the truck were a dozen or so young men, some with bandanas covering their faces and others wearing Palestinian style kafiyas (sp?) and waving triumphantly over their heads was a flag bearing the image of Osama bin Laden. As the truck approached the guy waving the flag spotted me and a big broad grin spread across his face and he called out the phrase that forever accompanies western men whereever they go in Indonesia; "Hallo meester!". The flag waver nudged his mates and soon all the wannabe jihadis were waving, giving me the thumbs up and shouting "Hallo meester!" as the truck lurched off into the traffic jam.

For me that incident summed up the dichotomy of Indonesia in a nutshell. A big, noisy, bustling country which to outsiders appears dangerous, malevolent and downright hostile but which in fact is populated by the nicest, most friendly, thoroughly easygoing, welcoming people anyone could have the good fortune to meet anywhere on the planet. From that day I was hooked.

How difficult is it for me to hang on to my culture? Not difficult at all, through the wonders of the internet and cable TV I am constantly in touch with news and views from back home and I can order whatever books I want online. My bookcase has half a shelf of travelogues and histories of Indonesia and the rest is full of western literature; novels, biographies and histories as well as political tracts. Reading is something that seems sadly not to be very big in Indonesia and the fact that I spend much of my free time with my nose stuck in a book bewilders my wife slightly. I remember picking books from my Dad's book collection as a boy and I hope my son does the same. I would love him to learn about the half of his ancestry that comes from outside Indonesia but perhaps I should resign myself to accepting that he's much more likely to end up being glued to the drivel and endless sinetrons that dominate TV here.

Miss about home? Not much really, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to leave the place but if pressed I would say the change of seasons. Living in a tropical country always seems so attractive when it's a wet Tuesday in November back home but the cycle of change that marks the movement of the year is a very comforting thing, when February is just the same as August it can be a little monotonous. I suppose there is one other thing I miss; drivers with the slightest acquaintance with the basic rules of the road! Whatever about Shakespeare, I think the three greatest books in the English language are the King James Bible, Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and Her Majesty's Stationery Office's The Highway Code. Nations and societies which adhere to the principles contained within those three books are invariably happier, healthier and wealthier than those which chose to eschew them, Indonesia would do well to look them up.

Other expats: my first reaction is that I make no real effort to mingle with fellow expats beyond a beer and a chat in a bar the odd night a week. However I considered it further and realised that a large proportion of my time is spent on the internet and much of that is involved with the blogs mostly overseas but quite a few local ones too - your blog, Indcoup's (now offline) and the Reveller's (now moribund) being examples of the latter. By joining in the discussions and engaging with the contributors I suppose I would have to say that I do make the effort to associate with other expats even if it is at a certain remove.

I don't agree with one of your contributors who said other expats were ignorant, uneducated and arrogant. Unlike most expat communities around the world I think those of us in Indonesia seem to be a more enlightened bunch. Maybe it is as a result of krismon but I don't think there are too many of the boozy bigots complaining how their maids don't know how to clean toilets properly over beers which they ordered by shouting loudly to the barstaff in pidgin English. Even the younger lads you see around the town seem to make the effort to speak a bit of Indonesian and the old hands generally prefer living in real Indonesian communities rather than in gated expat housing complexes. Although perhaps I have somewhat rose-tinted spectacles in that regard.

I came here on my own and have created my own family here so I have acclimatised just fine.

As regards what problems I still have with Indonesia I suppose I should say the corruption and inefficiency but to be honest they don't affect me on a personal level. My gripes are of a much more prosaic nature, I find Indonesian food disappointing. Given the amazingly mixed nature of the Indonesian people, their cuisine seems so unappealing, especially when compared to Chinese, Indian and even Thai food. Beyond noodles and satay the staples seem to be over fried chicken or fish, permanently smothered in horrifically hot sambal. I'm sure there must be fantastic Indonesian dishes but I never seem to encounter them. At the other end of the alimentary canal I still have a horror of Indonesian bathrooms, I'm sorry but forty years of using western plumbing have left me just too fastidious to fully enjoy the delights of squat toilets!

Finally what keeps me here? Well nothing really keeps me here other than this is where my wife's from and my son was born here (as were the next two) and this is where I have chosen to set up home and where I'm comfortable. More pertinent perhaps is what would make me leave.

I am not so starry eyed as to believe that Indonesia is a paradise; it's not and history has shown that Indonesia has a tendency to go tits up every couple of decades or so. I always have at the back of my mind the realisation that this is what we used to call a third world country. It also is mainly Muslim and the way things are today one never knows how that could develop. I know there is no real desire for Islamic fundamentalism here, but there are straws in the wind that indicate that Indonesian secularism is not as strong as we might have hoped. Afghanistan with its love of mystic poetry and small boys wouldn't have seemed an ideal recruiting ground for Islamofascism but we saw how that turned out and I fear that the next big crisis could transform Indonesia in a nasty way. I therefore realise that the time could come when life in Singapore or Perth might be the sensible, if entirely boring, option.
...............................
(M. is still here and a good friend.)

 

postID=2279983798426493710

6:30 am
|
Alien Thoughts from Home

Home Thoughts from Abroad

Interactive World Time

Indonesian Dictionary

Indonesian Acronyms

Indonesian Slang

Learn Indonesian

Currency Converter

Email Me

The WeatherPixie

5 Day Forecast

Get Firefox!




Disasters
  • West Sumatra Earthquake Aid Agencies
  • Sidoarjo Mud Volcano
  • Reports on Crashes and Sinkings

  • Living in Indonesia
  • Tempo
  • Bugils News
  • Jakarta Post
  • Jakarta Globe
  • Down To Earth
  • Loads of Advice
  • Inside Indonesia
  • Green Indonesia
  • Hobson's Choice
  • Gunung Bagging - New - clamber volcanoes
  • Indonesian Music
  • Indahnesia Online
  • Maps of Indonesia
  • Indonesia For Kids - blog
  • Green Group Links
  • Faces of Indonesia - blog
  • Photos of Indonesia
  • Indonesian Publications
  • International Crisis Group
  • Indonesian Engaged Travel - blog
  • Outside The Indonesian Box - blog
  • Indonesian Corruption Watch
  • News and Events Aggregators
  • Indonesia's Vegetarian Restaurants

  • Living in Jakarta
  • Culture Shock - Jakarta - 'my' book
  • Bataviase - loads of info in Indonesian
  • Rujak.org - for a sustainable Jakarta
  • Jakarta Kid - stories of street kids
  • Jakarta Events - as it says in the title
  • Map of Jakarta
  • Jakarta Nite Out
  • Jakarta Nite Out - for Francophiles
  • Jakarta 100 Bars - as it says in the title
  • Jakarta Java Kini - upmarket magazine
  • Jakarta Urban Blog- as it says in the title
  • Jakarta Green Map
  • Jakarta Daily Photo - as it says in the title
  • Jakarta? Been there!
  • Protecting Jakarta Bay
  • Nightlife - for single guys - check the forums
  • Jakarta Restaurant Reviews - as it says in the title

  • Living in Bali
  • Hector - at Bali Times
  • Bali Spirit
  • Bali Expat Forum
  • Nusa Lembongan News
  • I've Been To Bali Too Blog - defunct but still good stuff

  • Education Matters
  • Education 21
  • Performing Monkeys
  • Yayasan Goodwill International

  • Pre-Independence History
  • 1941-1942
  • A Family Tale

  • JAKARTASS ADS
  • Del Boy - my multi-talented co-author
  • Hotel Rimbo - a mate
  • Ethos Travel - Son No.1
  • Indo Fair Traders
  • Organic Vanilla
  • Merdeka Coffee
  • Pekerti Nusantara

  • Indonesian Blogs in English
  • Top Blogs
  • Merdeka - aggregator
  • Elyani - good stuff
  • Therry - good stuff
  • Om'Bak - group thoughts
  • Yosef Ardi - business gossip
  • Treespotter - his serious blog
  • Milk Tea Girl - poems and stuff
  • Bitching Babe - another slice
  • Café Salemba - ekonomi +
  • Enda Nasution - The Guv'nor
  • Aroeng Binang - a neighbour
  • Harry Nizam H. - legal practitioner
  • Ethereal Shards - youthful ponderings
  • Muli's Commune - defunct but good links
  • Isman H. Suryaman - not a 'Fool'
  • Rasyad A. Parinduri - ekonomi
  • Tasa Nugraza Barley - returned from the USA
  • Indonesia Anonymus - infrequent but always good

  • Indonesian Expats
  • Naz - a "12.5% Indonesian" in Norway
  • Bleu - in Malaysia
  • Anita - in Scotland
  • Maya - in Antibes
  • The Writer - in Denmark
  • Spew-It-All - in Australia
  • Jennie Bev - in SF
  • Rima Fauzi - in Belgium
  • Nadia Febina - in Angola
  • Society of Spectacle - in Berlin
  • Overseas Think Tank - for Indonesia
  • Indonesians Living Abroad Forum - as it says in the title

  • Expat Bloggers in Indonesia
  • PJ Bali - oil worker
  • Mat Solo - Malaysian oil worker
  • Jenny Q - an expat wife
  • Dr Bruce - retired teacher in Bali
  • Spruiked - Brett's take on things
  • Indoprism - an expat family
  • Java Jive - original photoblog (now in the Phillipines)
  • Amor Fati - good links
  • Metro Mad - Jakarta Globe columnist
  • Rob Baiton - back in Oz
  • Jakarta Kid - about street kids
  • Green Stump - in Kalimantan
  • Most Curious - née Betty Loves Blogging
  • The Mad Rotter - Henk loves Indonesian music
  • Duncan Graham - journo archives
  • Hardship Posting - more wtf
  • Indonesia Matters - loads of stuff
  • The Opinionated Diner - and NZ music
  • Patrick Guntensperger - has opinions on current issues

  • Selected Aseanist Blogs
  • SARAwho? - Southeast Asia Aggregator
  • Pelf-ism is Contagious
  • Brommel - usually in Indonesia
  • Friskodude - SF travel writer
  • Klong Walking - an Addick in Bangkok
  • Agam's Gecko - musings from Thailand

  • London Blogs
  • Diamond Geezer
  • London Daily Nature Photo
  • London Bloggers Tube Map

  • Other Fave Blogs
  • Aangirfan - who is s/he?
  • Ad Busters - ecological economic sense
  • Samizdata.net
  • Strange Games
  • The J-Walk Blog
  • Environmental Graffiti

  • Charlton
  • Doctor Kish
  • Inspector Sands
  • Forever Charlton
  • Official Charlton site
  • Addickted to Blogs
  • Ex-Charlton forward in Belize

  • I'm an Aging Hippie
  • Man
  • XTC
  • World Changing
  • MoonJune Records
  • Canterbury Sounds

  • My Youth
  • Blackheath
  • Charlton Lido
  • Charlton House
  • Woolwich Ferry
  • Greenwich Park
  • Severndroog Castle
  • Overlapping Memories
  • More Overlapping Memories
  • Map of My Stomping Ground

  • Put Your Feet Up
  • Biscuit of the week
  • 50's British TV Nostalgia
  • Hello Children, Everywhere

  • Enter your Email

    Subscribe with Bloglines

    Locations of visitors to this page

    Blog

    eXTReMe Tracker



    Listed on BlogShares

    Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

    ARCHIVES
  • May 1998
  • March 2004
  • April 2004
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • December 2013
  • Creative Commons Licence